Quick Info →
Age: 66 Years
Date of Death: 23/01/2023
Hometown: Villupuram, Tamil Nadu
Some lesser known facts about E. Ramdas
- E. Ramadoss was an Indian actor, director and writer who worked predominantly for the Tamil entertainment industry. He gained recognition for playing pivotal roles in several Tamil films such as Oru Naal Koothu (2016), Vikram Vedha (2017), Nadodigal 2 (2020), and Agent Kannayiram (2022).
- Born in a Tamil-speaking family in a village called Villupuram in Tamil Nadu, Ramadoss was fond of watching films since childhood.
- In an interview, E. Ramadoss recalled his childhood days and how he discovered his interest in writing. Ramdas wrote a love letter to his crush while still in school; However, the letter was intercepted by his headmaster. Soon after Ramdas’s letter was read by his teacher, he was called upon and praised by his teacher for the lines he had written in the love letter and was encouraged to pursue a career in screenwriting. Referring to the same, Ramdas said,
When you see a girl studying in school, your senses fly away. That’s how it came to me. I wrote a letter and sent it to the school. I don’t know whether it goes to the headmaster or not. Shouldn’t I be one of the books you keep close to your chest?’ The book I had written went to the headmaster. He called me and praised me for the lines. When I shared it with my friends, they said, ‘It’s good… you should try cinema.’
- While studying in college, Ramdas developed an interest in screenwriting. Later, in 1979, he moved to Mylapore, Chennai to pursue a career in the Tamil film industry.
- After relocating to Chennai, Ramadoss ventured into screenwriting, and the first film he worked on was Enakkaga Kathiru (1981), a Tamil film starring Suman and Sumalatha.
- Later, in the late 1990s, Ramadoss worked as a writer for several Tamil films such as Raja Muthirai (1995), Dhinmum Ennai Gaavani (1997), Harikrishnan, and Anthapuram (1999).
- Ramdas was also interested in directing films. Initially, he worked as an assistant director to Manivannan, a famous Tamil director. Some of his notable directorial ventures were Aayiram Pookkal Malarattam (1986), Vazhaga Jananayagam (1996), and Suyamvaram (1999). In an interview, Ramadoss talked about how he got the opportunity to direct Tamil films and said,
I didn’t ask Manivannan for a job. The towers don’t tilt but there is dabbing. Manopal went to see her. I went too. I used to go and sit and improve. Manivannan was looking at me like ‘yaara…ivan’. Manivannan allowed me as a person who respects it because I am an educated person, said Manobala, ‘this is our fear’. That’s how I got attached to it.
- In 2004, Ramdas started his career in acting. In 2004, he acted in the Tamil film Vasool Raja MBBS in which he played a small role as a ward boy. He has worked in several Tamil films such as Kukku (2014), Thappu Thanda (2017), Goli Soda 2 (2018), and Boomerang (2019).
- Ramadoss has played the role of a policeman in several Tamil films. He has appeared as a police officer in his other Tamil films Yudham Sei (2011), Kaaki Sattai (2015), Visaranai (2016), Dharma Durai (2016) and Vikram Vedha (2017).
- On 25 January 2023, at the age of 66, Ramadoss died due to cardiac arrest at a private hospital in Chennai. On Facebook, his son Kalchelvan posted,
My father, director, writer and actor E. Ramadoss passed away due to a heart attack. I regret to inform you that his last rites will be performed on January 24, 2023 at 11 am at his residence.